When insuring a holiday let or second home, there are several key factors to consider to ensure comprehensive coverage and full peace of mind protection. Here are some important things to check when purchasing insurance for your holiday let or second home: 
**Usage Classification**: Insurance companies differentiate between holiday lets and second homes based on their primary use. Holiday lets are typically rented out to guests on a short-term basis, while second homes are primarily used by the owner and their family. It's essential to accurately classify your property to ensure you have the appropriate coverage for its intended use. 
**Cover for Rental Income**: If you plan to rent out your holiday let to guests, ensure that your insurance policy includes coverage for rental income loss in case the property becomes uninhabitable due to an insured event, such as fire or flood. This coverage can help offset the financial impact of unexpected disruptions to your rental income stream. 
**Public Liability Insurance**: Public liability insurance is essential for holiday lets to protect against claims for bodily injury or property damage brought by guests or visitors. Make sure your policy includes adequate public liability coverage to protect you from potential legal liabilities and financial losses resulting from such claims. 
**Buildings and Contents Insurance**: Ensure that both the building and its contents are adequately insured against risks such as fire, theft, vandalism, and natural disasters. Check the policy limits and exclusions to ensure they meet your needs, and consider adding additional coverage for high-value items or specialty equipment used in the holiday let. 
**Unoccupied Property Coverage**: If your holiday let is vacant for extended periods between guest bookings, ensure that your insurance policy includes coverage for unoccupied property. This coverage can protect against risks such as vandalism, theft, or damage caused by undetected leaks or electrical faults during periods of vacancy. There are usually additional requirements attached such as keeping the heating on over the winter months, regular inspections or turning the water and electrics off so please check. 
**Emergency Assistance and Home Emergency Cover**: Look for insurance policies that offer emergency assistance and home emergency cover to provide timely assistance and repairs in the event of sudden and unexpected emergencies, such as burst pipes, boiler breakdowns, or lockouts. This coverage can help minimise disruption to your guests' stay and protect your property from further damage. 
**Legal Expenses Cover**: Consider adding legal expenses cover to your insurance policy to protect against legal costs associated with disputes related to your holiday let, such as eviction proceedings, contract disputes, or property damage claims. 
By carefully reviewing these key aspects of holiday let and second home insurance policies, you can ensure that you have the appropriate coverage in place to protect your investment and provide a safe and enjoyable experience for your guests. We have a wide range or options to suit all, so do please get in touch for a quote or any questions you might have with George Greenock at george@johnsoninsurance.co.uk or 
Share this post:

Leave a comment: 

Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings